I am an experienced digital marketing manager with experience in delivering projects end to end across the full range of digital channels. I help businesses find, select and deliver solutions that deliver marketing results across channels. I’m hands on with a good mix of strategy and tactical focus. I’m good at translating technology for people and businesses working pragmatically to get things done.
techtranslated is my undernourished blog where I post about web technology and how it can be used by people and businesses.
Techtranslated Ltd is my currently dormant company that delivers project management services (see Where I’ve Done It), website development (WordPress) and other web centric activities (web dashboards).
What I Do
- Digital marketing strategy, management & delivery
- Project management – from start to finish, people and process, development and testing; focus on pragmatic delivery
- Content management – vendors, platforms, global, multi lingual; focus on publish once, distribute everywhere
- Email marketing – vendors, applications, personalised, targeted; focus on blending push with pull
- Search – blending natural search (slow burn), paid search (tactical) and site search; focus on the user experience
- Social media – leading the B2B use of social media to follow where B2C social has already gone; focus on sharing content and recommendation
- Mobile – mobile version of websites, mobile apps for specific user tools; focus on device relevant content
- Advertising – briefing, creative, planning, reporting; focus on sales & marketing alignment
- Reporting – web, email, rich media; focus on real time dashboards and widgets
- Collaboration tools – team collaboration and knowledge management; current focus is Sharepoint 2010
- Infrastructure – design and management of hardware/network platform to deliver global performance
How I Do It
- Delivery focused – self starter measuring success through delivery across a range of projects, environments and scale
- Pragmatic – utilising project disciplines to drive delivery through people
- Strategic/operational – ability to manage tactical delivery within a strategic framework and focusing on the things that matter
- People – relationship and team skills across project team(s), stakeholders and partners
- Technology – knowledge and experience of the latest technologies and how to translate them for people and business
Where I’ve Done It
M&G Investments, London
May 2011 to present
Head of Digital Marketing
The strategic aspect of the role includes being instrumental in driving forth the digital direction across the whole of the company – this involves engendering organisational and cultural change to adopt digital; leading and developing the strategic digital framework, working in unison with other functional areas, and involving the Board on reporting on progress and milestones.
The operational management aspect of the role includes managing the Digital Marketing team that consists of subteams of web content managers, digital consultants, and specialists responsible for various digital disciplines (including SEO, web analytics, usability, etc).
Investec Asset Management, London
Apr 2008 – April 2011
Digital Marketing Manager
Development and delivery of multiple sites and microsites across the global Investec Asset Management business. Responsible for UK online marketing team, global web architecture and strategy, delivery of global projects and management of 3rd party development.
- restructure and rebuild of content management system to support global multi lingual websitesl
- distribution partner websites with personalised content and user customised content
- implementation of social media tools
- development of fund performance and charting tools, portfolios and illustrations
- re-design of client portfolio valuation service
- management of email marketing, advertising and search (natural/PPC/site)
- implementation of Sharepoint intranet design and structure
- relationship management of sales & distribution teams
- selection of email application, rich media hosting and search vendors
Barclays Digital Banking, Canary Wharf, London, UK.
May 2006 – Mar 2008
Internet Change Manager
- Managing the full development cycle to drive and grow the insurance websites (retail, small business and high net worth)
- Project management of change with impacts across channels, customer journeys and aggregators
- Delivery of new online health products, aggregator web services and other revenue initiatives
- Management of 3rd party suppliers including vendor selection for internet security application for online banking customers and site performance monitoring
- Delivery of joint venture offline projects across branch and call centre channels.
AXA Insurance, London & Glasgow, UK.
July 2005 – January 2006
- Project management consulting to AXA Insurance for the development of their small business insurance online channel and rollout to their key corporate partners
- Managing relationships and business requirements for Marketing, Distribution, Underwriting and IT (development)
- Liaising directly with corporate partners to ensure delivery of their requirements
- Creating, prioritising and planning the development schedule for the calendar year to support revenue targets
National Australia Group Europe, London, Glasgow & Belfast, UK.
September 1998 – June 2005
Project & Programme Manager
- Internet Manager – Insurance. Sole responsibility for developing the internet sales channel for general insurance across the UK and Ireland.
- Development of content and transactional capability
- Relationship management of 3rd party suppliers
- Management of 3rd party IT security reviews
- Programme Manager – responsible for directing the National Australia Bank Group Europe’s (NABGE) response to FSA regulation of general insurance – achieved delivery of programme scope, quality and cost – within the fixed timeline
- Management of a multi-site programme team – permanent staff, contractors and consultants
- Selection and implementation of online collaboration tool (ProjectPlace)
- Project workstreams across IT, Distribution, HR & Training, Legal, Compliance, Processes
- Manage change to customer journey, staff/management and structure and governance
- Project Manager – marketing launch of Individual Savings Accounts (ISA’s) across three UK banks.
- Project Manager – Reporting to the CEO to manage the convergence of the Group personal and commercial general insurance lines of business and integration of the general and life businesses.
- Launch of new insurance intermediary company
- Technology vendor/solution review & selection
- Contract management for outsourcing
- Ongoing relationship management of third party
- Project management of wider company restructuring project
Bank of New Zealand, Wellington, New Zealand
1996 – September 1998
Strategic Planning Analyst
Reporting to the Head of Strategic Management responsible for the approval, prioritisation, analysis and management of project investment.
Development and implementation of project management methodologies-
Bank of New Zealand, Wellington, New Zealand
1986 – 1996
Retail Financial Services
- Various roles including:
- Development of induction training and outsourcing of investment training
- Management of PC based sales reporting
- Sales management and coaching
- Retail banking
Prince2 Foundation qualified.
digital marketing, project, web, content management, cms, amaxus, sharepoint, widget, design, development, dashboard, strategy, search, advertising, social network, delivery, change, mobile, team